Friday, November 11, 2005

Friday the 13th

I think I am with Carah in that I would have ended up being his next victim too. The gas attendant defiently would have creeped me out into not wanted to get out of my car. I do not know if you guys remeber or not, but that legend was in the Urban Legends movie, and the girl ended up not getting out of her car, needless to say, she was the killers next victim. It is scary to think about, but we should definetely be aware of our surrondings at all times! But enough about last week, here is this weeks post. I thought it would be cool to do something a littel different, and this site gives the back ground and some fun facts about the urban legend of Friday the 13th.

Legend: Friday the 13th is a day fraught with peril.
Origins: Although most of us would probably affirm that superstition's role in Western culture is now a much diminished one, more a source of amusement than anything else, there are still those who allow their trepidation over particular days or dates to prevent them from engaging in their choice of activities. We may make jokes about Friday the 13th and only kiddingly instruct loved ones to exercise greater care on that day, but those who suffer from a fear of the number thirteen (triskaidekaphobia) or a fear of Friday the 13th (paraskevidekatriaphobia) may genuinely feel limited by the rumored potential for ill luck connected with the date. The reasons why Friday came to be regarded as a day of bad luck have been obscured by the mists of time — some of the more common theories link it to a significant event in Christian tradition said to have taken place on Friday, such as the Crucifixion, Eve's offering the apple to Adam in the Garden of Eden, the beginning of the Great Flood, or the confusion at the Tower of Babel. Chaucer alluded to Friday as a day on which bad things seemed to happen in the Canterbury Tales as far back as the late 14th century ("And on a Friday fell all this mischance"), but references to Friday as a day connected with ill luck generally start to show up in Western literature around the mid-17th century:
"Now Friday came, you old wives say, Of all the week's the unluckiest day." (1656) From the early 19th century onward, examples abound of Friday's being considered a bad day for all sorts of ordinary tasks, from writing letters to conducting business and receiving medical treatment:
"I knew another poor woman, who lost half her time in waiting for lucky days, and made it a rule never to . . . write a letter on business . . . on a Friday — so her business was never done, and her fortune suffered accordingly." (1804)
We find references to all of the following activities as endeavors best avoided on Fridays:
Needleworking: "I knew an old lady who, if she had nearly completed a piece of needlework on a Thursday, would put it aside unfinished, and set a few stitches in her next undertaking, that she might not be obliged either to begin the new task on Friday or to remain idle for a day." (1883)
Laying the keel of, or launching, a ship: "Fisherman would have great misgivings about laying the keel of a new boat on Friday, as well as launching one on that day." (1885)
Beginning a sea voyage: "Sailors are many of them superstitious . . . A voyage begun [on a Friday] is sure to be an unfortunate one." (1823)
Beginning a journey: "I knew another poor woman, who . . . made it a rule never to . . . set out on a journey on a Friday." (1804)
Getting married: "As to Friday, a couple married on that day are doomed to a cat-and-dog life." (1879)
Recovering from illness: "If you have been ill, don't get up for the first time on a Friday." (1923)
Hearing news: "If you hear anything new on a Friday, it gives you another wrinkle on your face, and adds a year to your age." (1883)
Moving: "Don't move on a Friday, or you won't stay there very long." (1982)

The origins of the connection between the number thirteen and ill fortune are similarly obscure. Many different sources for the superstition surrounding the number thirteen have been posited, the most common stemming from another Christian source, the Last Supper, at which Judas Iscariot was said to have been the thirteenth guest to sit at the table. (Judas later betrayed Jesus, leading to His crucifixion, and then took his own life.) This Christian symbolism is reflected in early Western references to thirteen as an omen of bad fortune, which generally started to appear in the early 18th century and warned that thirteen people sitting down to a meal together presaged that one of them would die within the year. The first to get up from the table would be the first to pass. People eventually began to associate 13 with everything from flights, hotel rooms, even the floor numbers of apartment buildings. The number eventually began to be skipped as floors would go from 12 to 13.

So do you believe in Friday the 13th as being unlucky???

This post cited from http://www.snopes.com/luck/friday13.asp

8 Comments:

Blogger carah said...

I whole heartedly believe Friday the 13th to be an extremely unlucky day. Although nothing really bad has ever happened to me on a Friday the 13th, just the thought of it puts you in an anxious mood all day. I am also an extremely superstitious person. I also believe in good luck, like the date 11/11 (which just passed this week). It was very interesting to read about the facts behind the whole Friday the 13th legend. People really believe that Friday the 13th is a horrible day. But when people say it is bad luck to start a voyage or get married on a Friday, they are just talking about Fridays in general or Friday the 13th specifically? Many people also dislike the number 13 all together. Many apartment buildings don’t have a 13th floor or when numbering for tables, there is no 13th table. Very informative blog this week!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jenna B. said...

In my family, Friday the 13th is actually a great day. My parents met at a fraternity party in college on Friday the 13th and have been together ever since. Therefore, every Friday the 13th they celebrate their anniversary. I personally do not believe in unlucky number 13. I know many people are afraid of it and that is why many high-rise buildings do not have a floor thirteen and many theaters lack seat thirteen in rows. My parents actually went gambling last week at the roulette table and kept playing the number thirteen. They kept winning with that number the entire night. I think it is just a superstition in people’s heads and that there is nothing “bad” about it.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Sandy Chen said...

I totally agree with Jenna about how friday the 13th isn't all that bad. I personally don't believe in superstition, so I guess a lot of these theories don't affect me. People probably only believe these because it is the cultural norm to agree with these. One time, I walked under a ladder and everybody started freaking out! I didn't even realize that I was doing it because I don't really pay attention to things like that, but everybody started yelling at me. It is pretty interesting to learn about the legend behind friday the 13th though. I feel like it's such a waste of a day if you don't do certain things on friday the 13th! Great post!

3:07 PM  
Blogger LaurSims said...

I think people just consider Friday the 13th as a bad and unlucky day because most people just see it as the norm. I mean I personally have not experienced any horrible events on that day which would make me believe that it truly is an unlucky day. However, with that said in mind, I think I still do consider it as a creepy day because that is what I was told growing up and I think it has stuck with me. I mean I won’t avoid the day, but I certainly wouldn’t plan my wedding on that day either, I wouldn’t want to chance it, despite how that may sound.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I have to say Friday the thirteenth does not really freak me out so much. I mean if the day comes up I might make a reference to it but generally I don’t care. I didn’t realize it had so much biblical meaning to it. I have a friend that has a birthday on the 13th. Although I wouldn’t say I am too superstitious I think that I would rather not have a birthday on the 13th. I can’t believe that this date stemmed from 1665. It is quite amazing that a myth can last that long and be that powerful.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Jets Fanatic said...

This was quite an informative post. I like how you mixed it up this week. As far as Friday the 13th goes, I think its a rather silly superstition. You provided good information about the historical background of fridays and the number 13 being viewed as bad luck.

On a personal level, I actually love the number 13. I have used it for sports since I was a little kid, and I like to think its my lucky number. In many ways its symbolic of my personality- i like to go against the norm and do my own thing. Oh well, keep up the good work with your blog. I wonder what's in store for your next post?
Thanks,
Joe

2:25 AM  
Blogger Adam Meyer said...

I don't believe in friday the 13th at all. I love fridays because it means the weekend is coming, and 13 is my lucky number. I actually love friday the 13th and until something bad happens to me one one of those days i will still love them. Anoither reason i like Friday the 13th is because i enjoy watching other people freak out for no reason, i just get a kick out of it. I definitly believe is superstitions especially when it comes to sports but this friday the 13th thing doesn't really scare me too much at all.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

6. That is really weird. I don’t know if I believe the whole Friday the 13th thing but there is a huge following behind the madness it seems. People through out history are crazy and get attached to crazy ideas. It seems very silly to me. When I think of Friday I think of fun and cutting loose not bad things. I would like to thank you for keeping your blog updated and interesting I enjoyed it this semester. Patrick singing out!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home